This vegan banana bread recipe makes me happy for a number of reasons. First, I feel it strikes the right balance of dry to liquid, meaning that the interior was nicely cooked through, with the exterior a crispy golden brown. Secondly, I like the consistency. Since I never use white flour, I’m always trying to balance whole wheat flour with something (in this case whole wheat pastry flour) that isn’t so dense. This banana bread is neither too cake-like, nor too dense and load-y. Finally, I’m happy with the sweetness. This recipe calls for just 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and combined with the ripe bananas, is really all it needs in terms of sugar. Since I made mini-loaves instead of one big loaf, I’m bringing one with me on a trip and freezing another.
If you haven’t dabbled in the world of egg replacers, this recipe calls for Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer, a powder that you combine with a few tablespoons of water. It makes your baked goods light and fluffy without the use of eggs. In the past, I’ve used flaxseed meal, a powder that is also combined with water to substitute for eggs, but I’m finding I’m liking the former much better.
(This recipe uses two 5 1/2″ x 3″ x 2 1/4″ mini loaf pans. If you’d like to use a full-size bread pan, increase the proportions of each ingredient by at least half and increase the cooking time by 10-15 minutes).
- 1¼ c whole wheat flour
- ¾ c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- ½ c walnuts, chopped
- 2 T Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer and 6 T water
- ¼ c maple syrup
- 1¼ c ripe mashed bananas
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two 5½” x 3″ x 2¼” mini loaf pans by lightly greasing with smart balance spread or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and walnuts. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg replacer and water and stir to combine. Add in maple syrup and bananas and stir well.
- Pour banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir well. Pour equal amounts into each prepared pan. Bake about 45 minutes or until a knife stuck into the center comes out clean.