Occasionally I like to reflect on what I’m eating by keeping track of my meals for a week. I’m not obsessive about it, but one thing I’ve found is that when you write down everything you eat, you can clearly see patterns, things you’re doing well, and possibly room for improvement.
So, what do vegans eat? I’m always sort of interested in what other vegans are eating. Not the super fancy stuff that I don’t have time to make, but the foods people eat day-in, day-out that keep them going. So I thought I’d share with you my relatively mundane food for a typical ‘week in the life’ of a busy vegan who has only small windows of time to cook.
First, a few notes:
- I bring my lunch with me at least 3 days a week so that’s usually a gigantic salad
- I’m hardcore about carrying snacks. Lately it’s been Health Warrior chia seed bars. I buy them by the case.
- I drink tons of water and seltzer with lime or lemon all day long
- I don’t mind eating the same or similar things every day. In fact, I kind of like it!
- I rely on restaurants with vegan options and prepared foods when I’m on the go, especially lately
- I’m trying to keep the sweets in moderation(?) but I definitely indulge!
- I try to remember to take a B12 supplement, but I sometimes forget
- As you’ll see, I’m not going hungry
Would my eating make a dietician fidget nervously? Possibly. There’s always room for improvement. But this isn’t meant to be a model plan for you to follow. Everyone’s different and will find satisfaction in different combinations of foods. I simply wanted to show you what a week of happy vegan eating looks like, in case you’ve ever asked, “What do vegans eat?”
Try paying closer attention to what you’re eating, even for a few days. I guarantee you’ll notice some interesting patterns!